Subject: Re: NoClick?
From: [email-masked] (Christian Stieber)
Date: 19 May 1994 15:24:08 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.sources.amiga

Frank Meijer ([email-masked]) wrote:

> : Noclick, lets the drive make a step back, in stead of making a step
> : forward when looking for a disk, it therefore prevents the drive from
> : clicking all the time.

> I never understood why such a program is required.
> Why was the driver implemented in a way that makes
> the drive click in the first place?

Because diskchanges are only detected when the head moves (i.e. the drive
receives a STEP pulse). Many drives will not step past track 0, so you can
move the head to track 0 and step towards track -1, but the drive will
stay at track 0 (this is what NoClick activates). However, some drives
will happily move to track -1, possibly causing damage (if you do it all
the time), therefore the default-setting for NoClick is OFF. It is pretty
difficult to get a drive that is on track -1 back to "normal".

Christian

--
     //   Christian Stieber     | EMail: [email-masked]
    //    Seitzstr. 6 / Zi 306  | Phone: (Germany) (0)89-292732
\\ //     D-80538 Muenchen      |
 \X/      (Germany)             |   Only Amiga used to make it possible
--------------------------------+-----------------------------------------
    "Life starts at '030, fun starts at '040, impotence starts at '86"
              keyboard not connected -- press F1 to continue